Zoning Division

The current Kankakee County Zoning Ordinance, including all amendments through August 12, 2008, may be found on the Kankakee County Zoning Ordinance page. A brochure describing the regulations for driveway spacing can be found here: Driveway Spacing Requirements (PDF).

Amendment History

Resolution NumberSectionCategoryAdopted
98-5-12-0703.02Adult UseMay 12, 1998
98-5-12-07011.13Adult UseMay 12, 1998
99-5-11-0753.02Affordable HousingMay 11, 1999
99-5-11-0758.11-8.22R2 DistrictMay 11, 1999
99-5-11-07516.02 CLegal ConformingMay 11, 1999
99-5-11-0755.02 H 2Telecommunication TowerMay 11, 1999
99-5-11-07510.09 B 9Tourist ParkMay 11, 1999
99-5-11-07515.05 B 3SetbacksMay 11, 1999
99-5-11-0758.08 A 3SetbacksMay 11, 1999
02-06-11-55017.04Reasonable AccommodationJune 11, 2002
03-01-14-70311.13Special Use - I2January 14, 2003
06-03-14-5811.12, 11.13Permitted & Special Use - I2March 14, 2006
06-04-11-81VariousComprehensive AmendmentsApril 11, 2006
07-01-09-146.03Special Use - A1January 9, 2007
08-02-13-21121-3, 99,100Small Wind Energy Systems - A1 & A2February 13, 2008
08-08-12-112121-3, 121-295, 121-99, 121-209Wind Energy Conversion Systems (WECS)August 12, 2008
09-06-09-72121-3.b,121-208.a.36Small Wind Energy Systems - I1June 9, 2009
09-11-10-174121-295Small Wind Energy Systems - All DistrictsNovember 10, 2009
2011-05-10-84121-99 CSpecial Use Permit - Pipeline FacilitiesMay 10, 2011
2011-11-08-166121-285(a)FenceNovember 8, 2011

A Zoning Map is also included as part of the Kankakee County Zoning Ordinance. This Map is updated in March of each year to include all approved zoning activity from the previous year. The current zoning map, as well as historical zoning maps, can be found at Kankakee County Zoning Maps.

Zoning Appeals


A property owner may petition the Kankakee County Board to reclassify their property. This is known as a map amendment, commonly referred to as a "rezoning". The property owner files the map amendment application along with the appropriate fee and a hearing date is scheduled. Those property owners wishing to rezone their property need to download the Rezoning Application Form (PDF), complete the application, and return it along with the appropriate fee to the Kankakee County Clerk. In July 2002 the Kankakee County Board adopted the farmstead exemption application. This process allows property owners wishing to divide a farmstead from an agricultural parcel, provided all application criteria is met. The advantage to this process compared to a rezoning is the process is less costly to the applicant and can typically be completed much quicker than a rezoning. View the application for a Farmstead Exemption (PDF).

Special Use Permit

A special use is for certain uses, which, because of their unique characteristics, cannot be properly classified in any particular district without consideration of the impact such use can have on neighboring land. To apply for a special use permit, view the Special Use Application (PDF).


A variance is the relaxation of the terms of the ordinance with respect to a specific zoning lot or group of lots where there are particular difficulties or particular hardships in the way of carrying out the regulations of the ordinance. View the Variance Application (PDF).

Information on the status of pending and resolved zoning appeals can be found on the Zoning Cases page.

Natural Resource Inventory (NRI)

On April 11, 2006 the Kankakee County Board adopted an amendment to the Zoning Ordinance (17.02.H) requiring that a Natural Resource Inventory Report be completed on all Rezonings, Special Uses and on any Variances that alter the topography or drainage characteristics of a parcel (at the discretion of the Planning Director). A brochure explaining the report can be found here: Brochure (PDF) and the Application Form (PDF). The NRI Report must be received by the Planning Department prior to the review of any application for Rezonings, Special Uses and required Variances. More information about this program can be found at the Kankakee County Soil and Water Conservation Districts website.

Developer's Handbook

The planning staff has developed a handbook for developers to help guide them through the development process. View the Developer's Handbook (PDF). An addendum has been added to the developer's handbook that includes an assembly of building permit applications for the County and all of its municipalities. This addendum may be on the Building Permit Applications (PDF).

Application Fees

Rezonings and Special Uses have a base fee of $600, plus an additional charge of $30 per acre for the first 50 acres, $20 per acre for 51 to 100 acres, and $10 per acre for each acre over 100.

Variances have a fee of $280.

A continuance fee of $175 may be charged if a zoning meeting is continued to another date.